11 March 2010

The Revolution of Everyday Life

Reality, as it evolves, sweeps me with it.

I am struck by everything and, although not everything strikes me in the same way, I am always struck by the same basic contradiction: although I can always see how beautiful anything could be if only I could change it, in practically every case there is nothing I can really do.

Everything is changed into something else in my imagination, then the dead weight of things changes it back into what it was in the first place.

A bridge between imagination and reality must be built.


From The Revolution of Everyday Life, Chapter 23 (Self-realisation, Communication and Participation)
Read by Paul Scofield in Robinson in Space (1997) by Patrick Keiller.

1 comment:

  1. That first line and that last line. Perhaps my favourite lines from any film.

    ReplyDelete