19 April 2010

B4524


B4524 from Lucy Thompson on Vimeo.

Filmed and edited in the Autumn of 2009 this was the first film in which I took the lead role. Constantly reshooting scenes, directing the cameraman and configuring my body in terms pf the position of the camera gave me the opportunity to understand in greater depth the awareness and precision needed in the construction of fictional filmwork. Although the notion of trying to act as normal as possible in front of the camera was my initial thought, the actual filming process revealed the impossibility of truth in my actions for the lens. The attempt to act relaxed and 'normal' clearly produced a staged look to the scenes, with certain small hints from my facial expressions as well as some camera shots suggesting the lies that can always be linked to any moving image that films people who are aware of the camera. The awareness of the lens will always produce a certain quality of acting in any persons actions, whether they are trying to be as 'normal' as if the camera were not there.

Another critical point that arose when this film was critiqued in one of the Media Art and Performance area's Tuesday afternoon shows was the open ended finish to the film. The drive of the main section of the piece was felt to be in some way compelling, with the ending of decision made upon my behalf - unrealised or a suprise. My reason for this was that this trip, although planned, was not scouted out before hand. I did not know of what to fully expect when I reached the destination of my walk/drive. It was a case of when I get to that bridge - I'll cross it... or in this case - not cross! It was also mentioned in the crit that the pace of the film, along with some of the unclear decisions I made of say, leaving university without a bag, were suggestively sinister. The glances in the car mirrors (intentional as it's a part of driving!) were also suggestive for some people. The idea of swiftly leaving the busy city streets and driving out into the countryside in search of a place of tranquility was, for me, the main concept of the piece - to escape the boredom of everyday life, drop everything and leave the constraints of life behind for a moment of lonely peace. The decision to not cross was purely on the sinister flow and depth of the water after the heavy rainfall we had previously experienced. Even in this chosen secluded spot I was still held at arms reach from where I apparently wished to go - a return to the banality of the everyday actions in city life was inevitable afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment